21 March, 2022

Haul out at Lakes Entrance



This is the first time I have been to Victoria on Malua and the first time I had experienced the marine infrastructure.  What a wonderful contrast to New South Wales where the government seems to not care about the potential to use the wonderful water ways for boaters and those people you enjoy a day next to a lake, river or river mouth.  Here facilities are good, plentiful and well organised so all can use them.  They appear to be well maintained and more importantly located in the rights place.

After a short nap and a shower I walked shore and over the sand dunes to have a look at the river mouth and bar.  As always, it does not look so daunting standing with two feet on solid ground but I was able to see the path I had taken. - not bad.

Next, was to move upriver to come alongside the shops and other facilities.  Again the wharf was easy with a floating pontoon right alongside an enclosure for the charter vessels and upriver from the fishing fleet. I was able to wander along the dock and look at the fishing fleet.  I came across a ex-skipper of one of our vessel -Derwent Adventure working on his boat.  Always with a beer in his hand which was his downfall with the owner.

I was due up on the slip on Monday so on Sunday night I relocated closer to Bullocks Wharf ready for the early morning lift onto the hard and the start of the work.


No comments: